Friday, June 6, 2014

So on and so forth

A few new things to report. Sebbie's kite flying adventure painting is finished and all snazzy in its new frame. I particularly like this one as it explores the line between reality and imagination.



 I've also been working away on a commission of a floral still life. I always love painting flowers, and this piece has given me a chance to really develop a floral painting. I'll post a picture of the finished work once it is, in fact, finished.





















I seem to get asked a lot what exactly it entails, being an artist. "What does a day in your life look like?" people ask. I never really know how to answer, because, I suppose, everyone's life seems rather ordinary to the person living it. (I try not to throw my alarm across the room when it goes off in the morning. I eat toast with peanut butter for breakfast. I put my socks on before my shoes. I drink lots of tea, and when that fails, coffee. See? Very ordinary.) But some days are particularly exciting, like the day I set up a new still life. I'm starting a new Sebbie painting "Sebbie and the Sky Pirate"--I'm very excited. So my day consisted of rigging a toy boat to hang at just the right hight and just the right angle; making a rope ladder out of twine and headless match sticks; de-heading match sticks; performing surgery on my pirate to remove him from his wooden base which was too big to fit on the deck of the boat; playing with a marionette (Sebbie, of course) to get him to look in the right direction and have the right posture (clothes pins and pony clips required); and so on and so forth. Set up days are usually good days. And I'm super excited about this painting--it's started but not yet share-worthy, but it will be soon. Meanwhile, here's the set up:



No comments:

Post a Comment